Sunday, December 16, 2007

Spiritual Garage Sale

As I approach a much needed break at Christmas, and the calendar turns to the New Year, it's always a time to reflect, to consider my purpose, my goals, my joys and regrets, the nonsense and chaos of my daily life, and the stories that I tell myself and others about what it all means.

This year it is time to do this, with more freedom and possibilities on the table than ever before. And why not? In Mary Oliver's incomparable words,
"Doesn't everything die at last and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
In the realm of my being that is loosely referred to as the spiritual, it is time for a garage sale.
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.
Some of the encumbrances include previous versions of my mission statement, focusing on priorities that are ultimately unrewarding, ignoring sources of energy that in the past have fed my soul (hello again CS Lewis! Long time no see!) and succumbing to blinding greed and acquisitiveness.

Any of you done this? A comment from a fellow runner would be a delight.

No comments: