Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas traditions

Merry Christmas to all
(or perhaps more accurately to "both" because I suspect that is the readership count of this little blog)

Yesterday was the Christmas celebration at the Halfwise house, as the complications and obligations of extended families had my daughters scheduled to be elsewhere today, the 25th.

I have two Christmas traditions that are becoming more and more valuable to me each year. I write a card to each daughter, and lately to my soon to be son-in-law, with a few words of what I have appreciated most about them this past year. These make each of us puddle up, and I am hoping that the cards find themselves put away as keepsakes. I draft each message on my computer, so I have a record of what I have said.

My second tradition is just before the meal. Rather than say grace, I read the King James Version of Luke's account of the birth of Christ, the one that starts "And it came to pass in those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed." I can not get through it to the "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men" without puddling up, which apparently is widely understood and even anticipated by the assembled throngs.

These are traditions I can grow old with.

Blessings of wisdom, grace and strength to all. (or to both, as the case may be)

1 comment:

JR said...

Halfwise,
As one who shares your vast audience let me be the first to wish you and yours a belated Merry Christmas. And best wishes for the New Year!