Saturday, February 17, 2007

Shameless consumerism

...has led to the acquisition of a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD television for the Halfwise household.

I am pleased with the picture, the sound from the built-in speakers, and the ease of setup. I can see definite differences between the signal quality of different channels, though, and some aren't very watchable as analog signals.

Digital cable is scheduled for installation at the end of March; I expect the picture quality to improve on most channels.

I went with LCD over plasma because plasma TVs throw off so much heat, and because the Sharp picture, with the right source, is remarkably good.

DVDs on my conventional DVD player look great, even in zoom mode which will fill the screen without stretching and distorting. Watching Cirque du Soleil is spectacular.

The 16 year old 27 inch Mitsubishi is still going strong, but is now with daughter #1. By the way, did you know that if you lose your TV remote there is an online seller called Mr-Remote.com that sells OEM remotes? I have no idea what happened to the remote from the Bitso'Sushi but it disappeared four years ago. I hunted for a respectable period, then gave up and bought a cheapo generic. It didn't do everything I wanted, so eventually I found Mr. Remote, ordered, paid, and had a perfect replacement in a week. There were features on the OEM remote that the generic ones didn't cover, for example re-programming channels to skip or include.

No comments: