Thursday, July 20, 2006

The saga of Silber Schnabel continues

The coupe has spent most of its early days in Edmonton at Al the mechanic's. Al is a former Benz dealer mechanic who now runs his own place, which fortunately is located about a 4 minute walk from my office. Silber Schnabel (SS for short) disgraced himself by dumping the better part of a quart of oil on Al's floor overnight, not a good sign. Al has a couple of vehicles in the shop and is planning to go on vacation shortly for three weeks. I am hoping to get the oil leaks under control, and a condition report, before he is gone. Then I need an out-of-province inspection done by a licensed independent facility before I can put the plates on and drive around looking like a plain old guy in a handsome old car.

I have to say that there are a lot of resources on line for an owner of an older Benz. www.benzworld.org is a gateway to all sorts of useful information, and eBay is only the tip of the iceberg as far as parts are concerned.

Today I went looking for a locksmith who carries the key blanks so that I could duplicate the one set that came with SS. I'm willing to leave a set with Al so that I can drop the car off when he's not there. Fortunately, the 200 series and the 300 series after require keys that can be readily cut, not the higher security ones that came with more recent models. But the key blanks are getting harder to find, apparently, and with some takeovers and mergers in the key business the old reference numbers sometimes no longer apply, so the guy may have the right key but doesn't know it unless he peers at every key blank on his board. I'm here to tell you that the locksmiths with bifocals are going to develop serious neck problems.

Looking forward to getting SS back home, better able to hold his liquids...

No comments: